Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Does Macha Deserve to Stay?


A column by Michael Hunt will run in tomorrow's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel regarding the future of Brewers' manager Ken Macha. It got me thinking and when I start thinking, I have to share my thoughts. So my blog is back...like it or not.

Let's set the table...Ken Macha signed a two-year-deal before this season and the results in his first season have been less than desirable. The Brewers are 69-75 and 15 games out of first place and sport the worst pitching staff in baseball.

Hunt says Brewers GM Doug Melvin won't allow Macha to manage as a "lame duck" next season. To me that is the interesting part. Why not?

This disastrous season certainly isn't fully his fault, so that is why I bring him back as manager for next season. If you are Doug Melvin, you are going to have a very hard time justifying extending his contract, even if it is just adding on an additional year. Macha certainly hasn't deserved to have his contract extended.

I also believe he doesn't deserve to be fired yet either. This team has issues, plain and simple. Most of them not Macha's fault. Do I think he's done a good job? No, I don't. But he deserves another year.

My problems with Ken mainly fall with his constant shuffling of the lineup that started when Rickie Weeks went down. His lineup changes daily and has platooned a guy like Casey McGehee when he has performed with Rookie of the Year numbers in a limited role.

Macha shows no fire, ever. He rarely argues a call and shows almost no emotion. I'm ok with the lack of arguing, but his lack of emotion has really shown in this team. The team is dead and has been for ahwile. Hunt reveals that there is a disconnect between some of the players and that Macha wishes the players would have used his open-door policy more. Here's a suggesting Kenny, maybe you should have been more aggressive in dealing with the disconnects. Macha looks like an old, tired and run down manager. Certainly not one that is deserving to have his contract extended.

If I'm Melvin, I let Macha come back for his last year with an improved team. If the results are similar, he is done. If there is progress and succes, then you can extend his deal. Just no extensions now please.

1 comment:

  1. Way to get back on the horse Gruman. I hate how Managers are just jettisoned from their roles after one year so often in the MLB.

    Perhaps the trouble lies with the players and not the manager. Or even with the GM.

    ReplyDelete